I am a Professor in the Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies (GSWS) at Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada).
I teach undergraduate and graduate courses in the GSWS program, including Canadian women’s history, the history of social protest, the history of the 1960s, feminist theory, and an introduction to gender studies. I am co-organizer of Vancouver’s Café Minerva. I am currently accepting graduate students interested in Canadian women’s and gender history.
Research and Publications
My past research explored the impact of unemployment in the Great Depression on family life and masculinity; the emergence of the gendered welfare state; and survival strategies adopted by poor and unemployed families. My current research is on the history of the Vietnam war and the gendered politics of the draft resistance and antiwar movements in Canada. Recent publications:
- Rethinking Canada: The Promise of Women’s History (Don Mills: Oxford University Press, 2016). Co-edted with Tamara Myers and Adele Perry.
- Worth Fighting For: War Resistance in Canadian History from 1812 to the War on Terror (Toronto: Between the Lines Press, 2015). Co-edited with Catherine Gidney and Michael Dawson.
- Gender History: Canadian Perspectives (Oxford: 2014). Co-authored with Willeen Keough
- Debating Dissent: Canada and the 1960s (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2012). Co-edited with Dominique Clément and Greg Kealey.
- Respectable Citizens: Gender, Family, and Unemployment in Ontario’s Great Depression (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2009).
The Herstory Cafe met for the last time in February, 2016. Jolene Cumming and I would like to thank all of our supporters for a wonderful nine years of women’s history events in Vancouver. I will be working with Willeen Keough (Department of History, SFU) on a new women’s and gender history public lecture series called Café Minerva. Our first event will be 7 April, 2016 at 7 p.m. (SFU Harbour Centre – 515 West Hastings Street). Dr Mary McAuliffe will be speaking on ‘Realists and Idealists: Women of the Easter Rising, 1916.’
Articles and books in progress
- article on masculinity, draft-dodging, and the Vietnam war
- manuscript on gender and the antiwar movement